To close the year out we thought we would end with an “off-topic” post on something close to every digi’s heart: beer!
Inspiration for the is post comes via an annual TV show we get in Denmark (which is very, VERY Danish) – the Natholdets Julekalender.
The premise for the show is quite simple: Beer expert Carsten Berthelsen takes Anders Breinholt (a sort of ginger Jimmy Falon/Jonathan Ross) and Søren Rasted (keyboardist from the band Aqua) on a “våd rejse” (wet journey) to decide which are a best three christmasy beers for 2020.
The show is recorded in one day, and a beer for every day of advent (24 total, pre-selected by Berthelsen) are tried. Every 5-10 minutes a new beer is provided in a glass which they must taste – along the way they choose the top 3, which is placed up front on the mini podium.
They are allowed toilet breaks, but no water. In addition to the beer, there are 4 “Advent-Sunday days” and this also requires a Schnapps shot be taken. The result is something you probably wont see anywhere else – three grown men, absolutely ratfucked trying to hold together a tv show.
That all aside, the beer list is actually an impressive offering from Denmarks microbrew/craft scene. The full list is below. At the time of writing (afsnit 18) the best 3 beers were:
- Thisted Bryghus: Julesten (Strong Ale) – 8 % (1st)
- Bryggeriet Åben: First Light (New England IPA) – 6 % (2nd)
- Herslev Bryghus: Juleøl (Red Ale) – 6 % (3rd)
- Nørrebro Bryghus: Bombay IPA (West Coast IPA) – 6,5 %
- Bryggeriet Åben: First Light (New England IPA) – 6 %
- Viborg Bryghus: JuleBocken (Doppelbock) – 7,3%
- Beer Here: Ammestout (Milkstout) – 6,5 %
- Alefarm Brewing: Decorations (Pale Ale) – 5,2 %
- Midtfyns Bryghus: Funky Santa (Imperial Brown Ale) – 8,5 %
- Kissmeyer: Stockholm Syndrome (DIPA) – 9,5 %
- Flying Couch: Icebreaker (New England IPA) – 6 %
- Skagen Bryghus: Klitnisse (Doppelbock) – 6,8 %
- Mikkeller: Sally, oh Sally (Kölsch) – 4,9 %
- Bryggeriet Skands: Blå Chimpanse (Dubbel) – 6,5 %
- People Like Us: Oats of Disobedience (Havrestout) – 5,3 %
- Thisted Bryghus: Julesten (Strong Ale) – 8 %
- Braunstein: Dragonfly Coffee Bean (Kaffestout) – 9 %
- Timm Vladimirs Bryghus: Pale Alene i Verden (Pale Ale) – 5 %
- Grauballe Bryghus: GunsmOak (American-style Ale) – 7,8 %
- Herslev Bryghus: Juleøl (Red Ale) – 6 %
- Syndikatet: Hippien (Imperial Saison) – 10 %
- Aarhus Bryghus: Juletønden (Strong Ale) – 8 %
- Hancock: Julebryg (Doppelbock) – 10,5 %
- Albani: Blålys Juleøl, Jubilæums Craft Version (Doppelbock) – 7,5 %
- Hjort Beer: Brown Bella (Dubbel) – 7,4 %
- Bryggeriet FRANK: Sinterklaas in Space (Dubbel) – 8 %
- Amager Bryghus: Secret Santa (Quadrupel) – 10,5 %
We found a vendor selling a “kit” online, sadly they were out of stock by the time I got this up.